Thursday, April 24 2014 @ 07:01 PM EDT
Contributed by: ACT Staff
Thunder Road Pit Notes
Nearly 40 stock car racing teams attended Thunder Road’s annual spring practice session on Thursday (April 24) evening. Teams from the track’s top three divisions took their first practice laps of the year in anticipation of this weekend’s Merchants Bank 150 season opener.
· Just over 20 ACT Late Models were on hand to shake down their rides.
· The majority of the Late Model teams in attendance were hitting the track for the first time in 2014.
· Only Bobby Therrien, Brandon Atkins, Lance Allen, Nick Sweet, Mike Ziter, Emily Packard and Jimmy Hebert have already started their seasons at the ACT race at Lee USA Speedway a couple weeks ago.
· 2013 “King of the Road” Derrick O’Donnell looks ready to defend his title. Former champion Nick Sweet as well as a stout group of contenders are poised to spoil his hopes.
· The Bond Auto Tigers on hand were virtually all veterans of the division. Most competed at the “Nation’s Site of Excitement” last season with the exception of rookie Stephen Donahue and Joel Hodgdon, who is returning after a couple years off.
· Brendan Moodie took to the track in his new ride, while Jason Woodard looked fast as the highest finishing Tiger from 2013 to return this season.
· The Allen Lumber Street Stocks were led by defending champion Bunker Hodgdon, all-time wins leader Tommy “Thunder” Smith and veteran David Whitcomb. Also on hand were the Perry brothers (Jaden and Jamon) and rookie Thomas Merchant.
The 16th annual Merchants Bank 150 is this Sunday, April 27. Class day ceremonies begin at 1:00pm. Saturday, April 26 is the annual car show in downtown Barre from 9am to noon. The pit stop contest will be held at 10:30am with the parade up to the track at noon.