Contributed by: ACT Staff
Craig Bushey Claims VT State Championship Event #2 at Devil’s Bowl
Craig Bushey of Fairfax, VT dominated the early stages of the “I Am Vermont Strong 100” at Devil’s Bowl Speedway on Friday, June 15. Bushey started in the 4th position and took the lead from outside pole sitter Brent Dragon on lap 10. Following the first caution with just ten laps complete, the event saw just one more caution over the next 83 circuits.
Bushey created a sizable lead as he worked his way through heavy lapped traffic and had all but the top five in the field lapped before the third caution of the event came on lap 93. Dragon had also worked his way through the lapped traffic and reached Bushey’s bumper just before the lap 93 caution. The two appeared to be setup for a final seven lap dash to the checkers.Bushey got the jump on Dragon to take the lead again before another caution flew on lap 96, bringing eight-time and defending American Canadian Tour Champion Brian Hoar into the picture in third. Over the final four laps, Bushey had a mirror full of Dragon in the outside lane and Hoar on the inside rail. Bushey held the two off to take the win, while Hoar edge Dragon at the line for second.
Ricky Rolfe and Dave Pembroke were the only other cars remaining on the lead lap to round out the top five. Joey Becker, Lt. Governor Phil Scott, Brooks Clark, Bryan Town and Jamie Fisher were all down one lap, but still managed top tens.
Nick Sweet, the VT State Championship point leader coming into the event after his win at Thunder Road in the Memorial Day Classic, had a tire going down near the halfway mark. He had to pit under green and lost several laps and finished in the 19th position. Unofficially, Dragon’s third place effort appears to be enough to take over the point lead, but not far behind will be Rolfe and Clark.
Several cars from the 28 car field did not make the return trip for the previously rained out event. A total of 23 cars took the green, while 17 were on the track for the checkered flag. The event was slowed by just five cautions.
Vermont State Late Model Championship competition will continue with the third of four events on Thursday, July 12 with the VT Lottery Commission Governor’s Cup 150 at Thunder Road International Speedbowl in Barre, VT.
I Am Vermont Strong 100 Unofficial Results
Vermont State Late Model Championship Event #2
Devil’s Bowl Speedway – West Haven, VT
Friday, June 15, 2012
Pos. (Start) Car # Driver, Hometown
1. (4) 05VT Craig Bushey, Fairfax, VT
2. (3) 37VT Brian Hoar, Williston, VT
3. (2) 55VT Brent Dragon, Milton, VT
4. (7) 51ME Ricky Rolfe, Albany Twp, ME
5. (9) 44VT Dave Pembroke, Middlesex, VT
6. (8) 16VT Joey Becker, Jeffersonville, VT
7. (1) 14VT Phil Scott, Berlin, VT
8. (18) 68VT Brooks Clark, Fayston, VT
9. (15) 11NH Bryan Town, Charlestown, NH
10. (6) 18VT Jamie Fisher, Shelburne, VT
11. (11) 42VT Matt White, Northfield, VT
12. (19) 51VT Joey M. Laquerre, E. Montpelier, VT
13. (20) 13VT Jim Morris, Barre, VT
14. (21) 25VT Dave Whitcomb, Essex Jct., VT
15. (16) 87NY #Daniel Petronis, II, Mechanicville, NY
16. (12) 58VT #Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT
17. (10) 15VT Chris Wilk, Mendon, VT
18. (23) 2VT Norm Andrews, Warren, VT
19. (5) 88VT Nick Sweet, Barre, VT
20. (14) 22VT Chip Grenier, Graniteville, VT
21. (17) 85VT Trampas Demers, S. Burlington, VT
22. (13) 36VT Scott Carpenter, Waterbury, VT
23. (22) 41VT Jamie Aube, No. Ferrisburg, VT