Contributed by: ACT Staff
2011 Thunder Road Late Model Championship Season Review
Dave Pembroke – Montpelier, VT
#44VT VSECU/Lamoille Valley Ford Ford Fusion
· Dave now has two (2) Thunder Road Late Model Championships (2007, 2011)
· He is now the fourth driver to win multiple Thunder Road Late Model titles (Chuck Beede, Phil Scott and Cris Michaud each have three titles)
· 2011 was his first season in a Ford-powered ride
· Dave fell as far as 11th in points, 88 points behind the leader before his back-to-back wins, including the double-points Mid-Season Championship, brought him to the point lead in just two weeks.
· 2011 was Dave’s 12th season in the Thunder Road Late Model division (2000-2011)
· He was the 2000 Late Model Rookie of the Year
· He has won at least one race in 10 of his 12 seasons
· He has finished inside the top ten in the final standings in all 12 of his Thunder Road Late Model seasons. 8 of the 12 seasons he has claimed a top five in the final standings, including the last five straight.
· He has won back-to-back features in each of the last three seasons
· He has won multiple feature events in 5 of his 12 seasons
· In 20 Thunder Road Late Model seasons, he became just the sixth “King of the Road” to win the Mid-Season Championship (double points) and go on to claim the title in the same year (1992-2011)
· He is the tenth Late Model Champion to win two or more feature events in his championship season. Two times the “King of the Road” has won four features, and four champions have won three events. He is the fourth champion with two wins. Seven times the champion has won one event and three times they have won zero.
· Dave’s two wins in 2011 brings him to 17 for his career, which ties him with Cris Michaud for second on the all-time Thunder Road Late Model wins list.
· Dave was the 1999 Thunder Road Bond Auto Tiger Sportsmen Champion before moving up to the Late Models the following year